Emerson Hoyt

Emerson Demerit Hoyt (March 7, 1847-June 11, 1924) was a lifelong resident of Wauwatosa. He was a farmer, banker, Wisconsin State Assemblyman, Wauwatosa Village President, and first Mayor of Wauwatosa. He was instrumental in bringing both the streetcar and electricity to Wauwatosa.
Emerson’s parents were Thomas Demerit Hoyt and Catherine Smith. Thomas and his parents (Emerson’s grandparents) came to Milwaukee from Tuftonborough, Carroll County, New Hampshire in 1835. Catherine was born in Cape Vincent, Jefferson County, New York, and came to Milwaukee with her parents in 1836. Thomas filed a claim on farmland at 35th Street and North Avenue in 1835. In addition to farming, Thomas served as a lieutenant in the state militia, as a justice of the peace, and as the first tax collector of the town of Wauwatosa. He died at age 35. Catherine was a church and civic leader. She died at age 93. They had a daughter, Mary, who died shortly after birth in 1842. Emerson was born in Wauwatosa in 1847.
In 1870, Emerson married Caroline “Carrie” F. Holston, who was born in Columbus, Ohio, and was brought to Milwaukee by her parents when she was a baby. They had two children, Miriam and Samuel.
Emerson was a farmer until age forty, when he sold his farm and moved into the town of Wauwatosa. In 1892, he was instrumental in extending the streetcar line from Walnut and 27th Streets to Wauwatosa. He was involved in the building of the electric light plant that was sold to the Milwaukee Electric Company in 1896.
Emerson was a member of the Wisconsin general assembly for four terms, in 1887, 1893, 1895, and 1897. While in the state assembly, he served on several standing committees, including those involved with railroads, ways and means, and cities and incorporations. He was instrumental in Wauwatosa being incorporated as a village in 1893, and served one term as village president; the Great Fire of 1895 occurred during his term. When Wauwatosa was incorporated as a city in 1897, he was elected its first mayor, and served in that role until 1904. In 1907, he became one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Wauwatosa and was its first president, continuing to serve in that role through 1921. He also served as a Milwaukee County Park Commissioner from 1907 through 1921.
In 1914, Emerson donated land on Hoyt Avenue (now Wauwatosa Avenue) for the Wauwatosa Women’s Club clubhouse. World War I interrupted plans for fundraising and construction. Building commenced in 1924, and the clubhouse was dedicated in 1925. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Emerson died on June 11, 1924, at the age of 77. He is buried in Wauwatosa Cemetery along with his wife and children.
The acreage at 1800 N. Swan Boulevard, along the Menomonee River, was owned originally by Milwaukee County and housed a county building. In 1928, the city of Wauwatosa purchased the land from the county, purchased additional acreage, and named the 34 acres Emerson D. Hoyt Park. In 1936, the city transferred the park to the Milwaukee Park Commission.
Vital Events
- Birth
- Date: March 7, 1847
- Location: Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
- Death
- Date: June 11, 1924
- Location: Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
- Cemetery: Wauwatosa Cemetery
Family
- Parents
- Thomas Demerit Hoyt (1815-1850)
- Catherine Smith (1818-1911)
- Spouse
- Caroline “Carrie” F. Holston (1845-1896; m. 1870)
- Children
- Miriam Hoyt (1872-1933)
- Samuel Demerit Hoyt (1875-1949)
