Calendar

Welcome

Trivia

Tour of Homes: The Tudors of the Washington Highlands:
Oct. 4 10 am-4 pm
Buy Tickets Online or at Ticket Outlets

Village Walking Tour: Oct. 11, 10:30 am Little Red Store ($3)

Kneeland-Walker House Tour: Oct. 18
(by reservation only: 414-774-8672) 10:30 am

Efforts to Preserve the
Eschweiler Buildings

More....


The Wauwatosa Historical Society is proud to pay homage to the people, life, structures, and heritage of this community. Native Americans first lived in the wilderness that would become Wauwatosa. The United States government entered into treaties with the Menomonee and Potawatomi Indians in the 1830s.

Wauwatosa was the first settlement in Milwaukee County of that decade, apart from the settlement that became the City of Milwaukee. Wauwatosa incorporated as a village in 1892, and was followed by designation as a
fourth-class city in 1897.

The Wauwatosa Historical Society carries out its mission of education and preservation through the two properties it operates:

In 1987, the Wauwatosa Historical Society purchased a stately Victorian house, a coach house, and 1.5 acres of gardens and grounds. The Kneeland-Walker House is now used for various educational programs, preservation work, archival storage, artifact displays, and community events. This treasure stands as one of Wauwatosa's greatest community assets.
The Little Red Store is part of Wauwatosa's earliest history as the oldest remaining post office in Milwaukee County. This building has also served throughout the years as a railroad station, general store, library, a place for political groups, harness shop, grocery, and plumbing shop. Currently owned by the City of Wauwatosa, the Little Red Store is operated by the Wauwatosa Historical Society.

This building at 1532 Wauwatosa Avenue was completed in 1918 as the Masonic Temple for the Lodge that was founded in 1895. What is the building used for today?

Answer on the
Research Library Page

 

Join Our Email List | Like us on

 

Copyright 2011 © Wauwatosa Historical Society | 7406 Hillcrest Drive. Wauwatosa, WI 53213 | Phone: 414-774-8672
This website may contain links to websites owned by third parties. The Wauwatosa Historical Society is not responsible for any content on any website linked to or from this Website. Links to or from this Website are a convenience only, and do not imply endorsement, sponsorship, or any affiliation with the Wauwatosa Historical Society or this Website nor guarantee that the information they contain is accurate.